Vegan Bran Muffins
This easy, grab-and-go breakfast keeps your system running smoothly with a hefty dose of fiber.
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened soymilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups wheat bran
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup hot water (about 180 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil 12 muffin cups or use paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together soy milk and lemon juice. Let mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken into "buttermilk." Whisk again and stir in the bran and oats.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flaxseed with hot water. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it thickens. Whisk the brown sugar, applesauce and oil into flaxseed mixture. Add this mixture to the bowl with the "buttermilk" combo, stirring until batter is combined.
4. In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add this mixture to the batter, stirring just until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the berries.
5. Fill each muffin cup with a heaping 1/3 cup of batter. The muffin cups should be full and rounded at the top, with blackberries in each.
6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the muffins are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into muffin (avoid the blackberries if you can) comes out clean.
7. Let muffins cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn out muffins and continue to cool them on a wire rack for another 10 minutes before serving.
- Adapted from Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone by Myra and Marea Goodman, Chronicle Books ($23, amazon.com). Copyright 2014.