Warm Kale Salad
- 1/4 small red onion or shallot, thinly sliced into rings
- Red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale, thick stems discarded, leaves very thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons pitted, roughly chopped olives
- 1 large orange, skin and pith cut away, thinly sliced crosswise
- Black pepper
1. In a small bowl, toss the sliced onion or shallot with a large pinch of salt and add red wine vinegar to cover. Let stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours).
2. Warm a wide, deep skillet over high heat for a minute; add the olive oil. Add the kale and a pinch of salt and cook, tossing constantly, until wilted and browned in spots, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and let cool slightly.
3. Drain the onions or shallots and scatter them over the kale. Top with the olives and orange rounds, and season with black pepper. Toss well and serve (can be held at room temperature for up to 1 hour).
- Find more healthy and kid-friendly recipes on the Mom Appetit blog.