Warm Spinach Salad
- 8 small new potatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 pound bacon, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large bag spinach (10 cups)
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
1. Bring potatoes to a boil in a large pot of salted water. Reduce heat and simmer until tender but not falling apart, 12-15 minutes. Cook bacon in a saute pan over medium heat until crisp. Drain and set aside; reserve 1 tablespoon drippings. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan, add eggs and cook until hard-boiled, about 12 minutes.
2. Combine mustard, sugar and vinegar in a medium bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon olive oil and bacon drippings. Whisk in remaining olive oil and set aside.
3. Remove potatoes from pot with a slotted spoon when cooked. Place in vinaigrette and toss gently. Place eggs in cold water when cooked. When cool, peel and cut into quarters.
4. Place spinach in a large salad bowl and pour potato/vinaigrette mixture over the top (vinaigrette will be warm, which will warm and soften the spinach). Add bacon and roasted peppers. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Add eggs; serve immediately.