Whole Wheat French Toast Fingers
These indulgent sticks are pleasingly sweet but also pack fiber thanks to their whole-wheat base.
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 large slices firm whole-grain bread, each piece cut crosswise to make 5 fingers
- Blueberry Maple Sauce (recipe follows) or maple syrup, optional
- 2 fresh or frozen (unsweetened) blueberries
- 1 pure maple syrup
- 1 orange juice
Make ItFor Crispy French Toast Fingers:
1. In a food processor, pulse the almonds until coarsely ground. Add the corn flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, then pulse until corn flakes resemble the texture of oats. Transfer corn flake mixture to a shallow bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla until well combined.
3. Spray large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
4. Working with 1 piece at a time, dip the bread into egg mixture until completely moistened and coated but not falling apart, about 15 seconds on each side. Coat each stick in the corn flake mixture, gently pressing it onto the bread. Place each stick in the skillet and cook over medium-low heat, turning once, until the outside is golden brown and the center is warm, about 6 minutes. Repeat with each stick, setting the browned ones aside as you dip and coat the remaining slices.
5. Serve with Blueberry Maple Sauce for dipping, if desired.