Winter Vegetable Tagine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon mild honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice (from 1 small orange)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus additional to taste
- 1 pound small turnips (about 7), peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and but into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 8 green olives, such as picholine, pitted and halved
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Harissa or cayenne pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. In a wide, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the honey, salt and turmeric. Add 4 tablespoons of the orange juice and the lemon juice and bring to a simmer.
2. Stir in the turnip, carrot, green beans, olives and garlic. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice and the harissa, lemon juice and salt to taste. Garnish with the parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.