Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
Yukon Gold potatoes are a particularly creamy variety, so you can skip the extra butter and cream. Cooking them in chicken stock also enhances their flavor.
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover halfway with cold water. Add chicken broth to just cover potatoes and place on high heat (add 2-3 cloves of garlic, if desired). Bring potatoes to a boil, reduce heat slightly and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
2. While potatoes are cooking, combine milk and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until butter is melted and milk is just coming to a simmer. Remove from heat.
3. Add the hot milk mixture to the potatoes and blend with a hand mixer until smooth. (If desired, serve with gravy recipe.) Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.