Zucchini-Tomato Pink Sauce
- 8 ounces regular or whole wheat pasta, any shape
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 small zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 - 2 teaspoons tomato paste (use the smaller amount if not adding cream)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, coarsely grated
- 1 - 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over high heat, combine the olive oil, garlic and thyme. Let sizzle until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the grated zucchini and a large pinch of salt and saute until the zucchini is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove the garlic and thyme. Add the tomato paste and saute for 1 minute. Add the grated tomatoes and cook, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, for 3 minutes. Pour in the cream if using and simmer for 1 more minute.
4. Add the drained pasta and reserved cooking water to the pan and stir over high heat until the pasta is coated with the sauce, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with parmesan cheese.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.